SignalNET - developer's guide
How to make modern signal installation in one-family house?
Modern cabling is the core of the whole home infrastructure needed for security, entertainment, communication, and easy control of home appliances:
- security - door entry system, CCTV monitoring
- entertainment - antenna installations, computer network
- communication - telephone and computer network
- comfort - control of home appliances
Why use integrated cabling?
Only integrated cabling made by one firm guarantees that the installations will work together properly.
What are example possibilities of cooperation among the systems?
- opening the gate/door with phone handset
- viewing images from video door system and CCTV camera/s on television screen
- watching films from PC (e.g. divix) on television screen
- using Internet connection for phone calls
- browsing Internet on large TV screen (HD TV set)
It does not cost much!!! Quality cabling of a house is a small part of all costs of its building, especially that SignalNET has been designed for two-stage implementation: the first - cabling, the second - installing active devices according to the needs of the customer.
SignalNET - the platform for cooperation between the developer and installer. Publication of specification sheets of SignalNET comprising all mentioned installations enables both sides to quickly choose and implement optimal solution based on proofed, well-tested applications. It is important the installations can be made by one firm.
The principles of making integrated cabling. Many decisions are often made before the developer contacts the installer, so we want to underline the next crucial points when starting the installation:
- vertical cable duct - it's a must; The duct linking cellar with attic allows easy replacement and/or putting next cable /s. As long as distribution of cables on the same level is not so complicated, drilling of floors is usually more difficult task. The duct prepared at construction stage may also be used in the future for e.g. fiber-optic cable.
- quality of the cables; Low budget for cabling means problems in the future - low quality of signals, interferences, limited services - and big expenditure on its replacement. The general rule - the cables used should be better than needed at the moment - e.g. in terrestrial TV installation it is better to employ satellite coax.
- star connection; Modern signal installations require this kind of distribution - from transition point. This point (e.g. cross-connection box) should be located in place guarantying power supply, proper temperature and humidity.
- signal inputs both from below and from the top. Not so long ago the signals taken from the top were only TV/TV-SAT/ FM broadcasts. Now we see growing popularity of wireless LAN networks -it also means the necessity of opposite signal flow, e.g. the antenna transmitting CCTV images, placed on the roof, is usually connected from below. Also the concept of fiber-optic distribution of TV, Internet and other telecommunication signals requires access from the basement. So both directions of signal flow have to be worked in.
Development in view. Choosing a scheme for cabling, we should take into consideration that some devices are becoming standard equipment in homes now, others will probably be such a standard in the near future:
- central home computer - being the home entertainment server with collections of films, records, pictures etc, as well as the managing center of CCTV monitoring and control systems
- home automatic systems - control of roller-blinds, heating, lighting
- systems for remote readings of meters (water, gas, electricity)
Alarm system - why not a standard. Owing to security reasons, SignalNET does not provide any specific applications for alarm systems. But it supports typical monitoring systems e.g. with CCTV camera with motion detection, from which the video is recorded after triggering by an alarm event, as well as the camera allows continuous remote surveillance.
Cabling for SignalNET platform
The conditions for making signal installations have to be determined already at the designing and construction stages.
In general, the signal installations include:
- TV/SAT - from the top (attic)
- telephone, computer network, door entry system - from below (basement)
The indispensable elements that have to be planned are:
- room/space (usually in the basement) for the cross-connection box domNET R96015
- vertical cable duct linking the lower and upper parts of the system
- room/space (usually in the attic) for active components of antenna system
This text is directly connected with another article available here.
The both articles make an introduction to the new concept of signal cabling, details of which should be discussed with the developers and future house owners.
Domáce inštalácie (10)
Trochu teórie (14)
NOVINKY V KNIŽNICI
ULTIPOWER Ethernet industrial switches enable data transmission at rates of 10/100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps. Their RJ45 ports support auto-negotiation and Power over Ethernet... viac »